Saturday, May 12, 2007

A.S.J.

I am taking the plunge and joining a knit-a-long to make Elizabeth Zimmermann's Adult Surprise Jacket. I've collected together various colours of DK wool that I have in my stash, found a 40inch circular needle, and worked my swatch to check my gauge.



The pattern is in the Opinionated Knitter.

A quick calculation says that I will be casting on over 400 stitches, which is more than a bit daunting! Hope I don't fall by the wayside and it ends up as a UFO. However, my bugbear is sewing up, and there is very little of that in this pattern.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I have a copy of Elizabeth Zimmermann's book with the Baby Surprise Jacket, and am dying to try an Adult version (I have a huge stash of yarn). But I can't find the pattern anywhere. Can you help? I am used to designing my own patterns and guess I only need to know how many stitches to cast on and should be able to work it out from there suing the baby pattern. Have you any hints? Best regards, Helen
www.bitstobuy.co.uk

Anonymous said...

So excited to read you're going to make an Adult SJ. I bought The Opinionated Knitter recently so at last I have the pattern for the BSJ. I was intrigued to see the grown-up version of the BSJ. I'll be very interested to see your results as I haven't even tried the BSJ yet. I expect you'll inspire me. Good luck and good knitting.

Steph said...

I like your choice of colours - looking forward to seeing the progress!